Login

64 bit TCP Server and Cubase

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

64 bit TCP Server and Cubase

Postby savvy@durango.net » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 pm

From previous thread:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

And this link, in which I asked if anyone else had my setup, but didn’t have my problem:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

Server is eating up my ASIO in Cubase 5.5.3 64 bit. I’m using the latest version of Server (1.3.480). I’ve tried all versions previous to this one with the same problem.

I realize that Nebula has unique challenges as a TCP server. But the other 2 programs I have used for the purposes of offloading processing to another server machine (FX Teleport and Vienna Instruments Ensemble Pro) both did exactly that: they DECREASED the load on my sequencer and host machine, rather than INCREASING the load far beyond what local instances of the program would.

When my ASIO usage meter gets too high on a song, it’s game over. It doesn’t matter how much CPU and RAM I still have left. In my case, using server gives me much LESS instances of Nebula than running Nebula locally. This doesn’t seem even remotely correct.

Options seem to be:

1. I’m doing something wrong.
Problem is, the only other person I get a reply from who is trying TCP server with Cubase/Nuendo is having the same problem. On their machine, using the same network connection, Wavelab is working correctly with server, so problem wouldn’t seem to be network related (at least in his case).

2. Acustica hasn’t tested 64 bit TCP server with 64 bit Cubase, and is assuming I am doing something wrong. If this is the case, I need to wait till the problem is formally identified.

3. Acustica HAS tested 64 bit TCP server with 64 bit Cubase, and
A. They didn’t have a problem, in which case I’m back where I started.
B. They know there’s a problem, but don’t want to deal with it until TCP server is being formally supported.
C. They know there’s a problem, but dealing with it would be too time-intensive to justify serving Cubase users using TCP Server, in which case I’m just screwed.

It would help me greatly to know which one of these scenarios, if any, is true.

I’m not asking for support, as I know support is not currently offered for TCP server. I pretty much assumed that I was paying to be a beta tester anyway. It’s just that now that I seem to have actually found a problem (which is corroborated by at least one other person, and hasn’t been refuted by anyone after I specifically asked), it doesn’t seem to be recognized or taken seriously.

I just want to know what’s going on.

I love Nebula. If I could get server to do what a server is supposed to do, it would be an absolute godsend, and getting this close is killing me.
I7-2600, 16Gb RAM host machine
I7-875K, 16Gb RAM slave machine
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
Lynx Aurora 8 lightpiped into Fireface 800
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II

Re: 64 bit TCP Server and Cubase

Postby woeischris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Nevermind, I can't read. Was thinking local, not TCP.
Last edited by woeischris on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woeischris

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:59 pm

I realize that Nebula has unique challenges as a TCP server. But the other 2 programs I have used for the purposes of offloading processing to another server machine (FX Teleport and Vienna Instruments Ensemble Pro) both did exactly that: they DECREASED the load on my sequencer and host machine, rather than INCREASING the load far beyond what local instances of the program would.

Already reported on beta forum. We are working on that.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby savvy@durango.net » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Cool.

I'll be quiet and patient. It's the not knowing that drives me nuts.

Thank you!

enriquesilveti wrote:

Already reported on beta forum. We are working on that.
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 pm

we are not currently working on that, at the moment we are in the middle of a developement on cuda; we can't fix things immediatly for each possible hardware. so we provide a version for testing in your system before buying. Your situation could be caused by a bug, or maybe a bad design. Is pipe mode working?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby savvy@durango.net » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am

giancarlo wrote:we are not currently working on that, at the moment we are in the middle of a developement on cuda; we can't fix things immediatly for each possible hardware. so we provide a version for testing in your system before buying. Your situation could be caused by a bug, or maybe a bad design. Is pipe mode working?

Yes, pipe mode with local server seems to be fine.

I know you can only do so much at any one time, I just wanted to know if it was even being considered to be addressed later when you could get to it. Like I said before, I'm not expecting anything until it's actually time for the network portion of the server to be officially "available". I am hoping that this can eventually be sorted out, but that needs to be determined by your timetable, not mine.

Thanks for the response.
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 am

yes, we'll address bugs later. Please note that in our current tcp implementation you would run out of tcp resources easily, a think a single tcp cable could manage around 10-15 instances. When you run out of resources the cpu load increases suddenly. You should use nebula reverb, you should increase the asio buffer and nebula dspbuffer....
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby savvy@durango.net » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am

giancarlo wrote:yes, we'll address bugs later. Please note that in our current tcp implementation you would run out of tcp resources easily, a think a single tcp cable could manage around 10-15 instances. When you run out of resources the cpu load increases suddenly. You should use nebula reverb, you should increase the asio buffer and nebula dspbuffer....

That's why I'm using 3 teamed nics on each machine.
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II

Postby himhui » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am

giancarlo wrote:yes, we'll address bugs later. Please note that in our current tcp implementation you would run out of tcp resources easily, a think a single tcp cable could manage around 10-15 instances. When you run out of resources the cpu load increases suddenly. You should use nebula reverb, you should increase the asio buffer and nebula dspbuffer....

I can open 28 intances in remote server and can play correctely with my DAW. It uses up 90% of my daw resources but only a few % in CPU usage......

What I wanted to say was that though the remote server was still in betatesting period, I was happy to see it in sync with host very well and was pretty stable too!
Last edited by himhui on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby savvy@durango.net » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

himhui wrote:

I can open 28 intances in remote server and can play correctely with my DAW. It uses up 90% of my daw resources but only a few % in CPU usage......

Out of curiosity, how many instances could you get using only regular internal Nebula before you got 90% usage of your DAW resources?
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II

Next

Return to Working with Nebula