Login

Nebula Server for LINUX - a great next step

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Server for LINUX - a great next step

Postby woeischris » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:46 am

This is the next step to a true dedicated Nebula server. Running on a separate Windows box is nice and all but with Windows comes licensing and viruses and stability and resource issues and all sorts of other things. By porting it to Linux, Nebula becomes a truly viable server application. It also opens the door to a whole new revenue stream for Giancarlo: Nebula hardware.

Without the complications of Windows, Giancarlo (or a partner... or a third-party company) could build Nebula server machines that are as easy to setup and maintain as a home router. Scaled back build of Linux with nothing but the core OS, TCP/IP, Apache2, and Nebula Server. Apache hosts a web page to install libraries and modify the XML files as well as reboot and perform diagnostics on the system if need be. This could be done in 1u and sold for a whole lot of money while introducing Nebula to a whole new audience because of ease of use.

I know Giancarlo has a ton on his plate but I think that the investment of time would be well worth it.

Would anyone else be interested in this?
woeischris

Re: Nebula Server for LINUX - a great next step

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:59 am

it's possible but we can't justify developements costs at the moment.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby woeischris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 am

Well that's not a very exciting response. :-P
woeischris

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 am

eh... developements are based on plans... plans are based on business and userbase. Linux is not so popular yet!!! and it requires a lot of efforts!!!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby woeischris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

I don't think you'd get a ton of home users setting up their own Linux servers but the potential to make a Nebula hardware device that could be sold... You'd reach a whole new audience and make a killing. I know there are commercial studios who would love to use Nebula if they could slap a 1u or 2u system into their rack and manage it through a web browser but aren't willing to invest in a whole new box and go through the trouble of installing the OS and software.
woeischris

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 pm

we'll start developing for linux when we'll have a contract about something to release. We could create it quickly. At the moment I can't see a single reason for doing it because nobody is interested (apart you :D )
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby woeischris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Well I'm gonna see if it'll run in WINE. If it does, I can make a very lightweight Linux server for Nebula and build a front-end for the XML files and library management in PHP. This can be a demo, then you'll see. Then you'll all see! Muhuhahahahaha... </evil villain laugh>

EDIT: Seriously though, this is as close to a stand-alone Nebula processor as you can get. It would be huge for you.
woeischris

Postby Martinez » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 pm

woischris if it does work with wine, can You let Me know so that I can start screwing around with Linux?

I would love to ditch windows for My DAW operating system!
Martinez

Postby woeischris » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:38 pm

You won't be able to ditch Windows, there is no Linux DAW that supports VST. Server could be Linux but client must be MAC or Windows.
woeischris

Postby Martinez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Yeah I know woeischris, it's wishful thinking!

As someone on youtube once said.

"Any computer not running windows is a super computer"

I know that NI Kontakt works with wine as well a Reaper but unfortunately no drivers for fireface 800 and nor will there be.

I did come across a post in one of the forums though that said that they had come up with a way to install windows device drivers on Linux.

If Your interested at all I'll post a link.
Martinez

Next

Return to Working with Nebula