Login

Micro Kernels Status?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Micro Kernels Status?

Postby sfunk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:29 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
sfunk wrote:
giancarlo wrote:servers are a solution for high end users... and they are the business ;)

If its high end users you are after then the Mac server needs a lot of work to address the issues. No use having a good PC server if the vast majority of high end studios and producers use mac. Just my opinion though :)

Not really. Their host being on a Mac doesnt have all that much to do with what OS is on their Nebula server.

Also the "vast majority" of high end engineers aren't using Macs; this isn't 1999.

The fact that people think they understand Giancarlo's business better than he does is a source of unending amusement.

Point taken about the server doesnt have to be Mac OS but if you are honestly disputing that the vast majority of high end engineers are using Macs then you must be working in a very different industry than literally everyone i know here in the UK and the States. Without getting into a Mac/PC debate its patently obvious most pro studios and engineers use Mac.
sfunk

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 pm

sfunk wrote:Point taken about the server doesnt have to be Mac OS but if you are honestly disputing that the vast majority of high end engineers are using Macs then you must be working in a very different industry than literally everyone i know here in the UK and the States. Without getting into a Mac/PC debate its patently obvious most pro studios and engineers use Mac.

Well I'm not sure about most but there certainly are plenty of high end pros on Macs, of course. But more and more engineers are catching on to the fact that the old classic Mac/ProTools rig isn't always the best solution for all jobs. I think that trend will continue but that's pure speculation, time will tell I suppose.

But in reference to the server product I hope the Mac studios understand that just because they prefer a Mac OS host doesn't automatically mean that Mac will be the best platform for a Nebula server; that said, hopefully Mac server will at least be a viable choice even if it's not identical in power and efficiency.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby psound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 am

sfunk wrote:
Giancarlo, you're doing amazing things but maybe not always what the customer wants. I know you have a vision but perhaps you could put up a poll with all the features being developed and users could vote the order they would like to see them? To be honest i'd assume most of us would rather have the micro kernels, something that nails saturation and compression and 64bit Mac Nebula way over servers...........but then maybe thats just me :lol:

Totally agree. If I had the coding capabilities of these geniuses, my priority would be to improve the technology/sound.

Analog gear is primarily lauded for its sound due to the inherent harmonic distortion/saturation created (especially when driven).

It isn't there yet, but if Nebula could nail this dead-on, it would revolutionize the audio industry.

I would put up with all the lackluster interfaces and cpu draining programs in the world if I could accurately replace the sound of a driven analog tube compressor/amp/etc. with a plug-in.
psound
User Level II
User Level II

Postby sfunk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 am

CPU drain isnt that bad anymore-i can run well over 40 instances on my Mac Pro-32bit is the issue. Get all versions 64bit, get devs on micro kernels, improve the saturation and sit back and watch the algo boys realise they have been wrong and join the party. Sorry but i think the server route is the wrong road right now but Nebula is not my product. :D
sfunk

Postby Formbank » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Personally, I would very much like to see this implementation.
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula