Should I convert 44.1 session to 96 for nebula mixing?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Should I convert 44.1 session to 96 for nebula mixing?

Postby apollo soul » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 pm

I've asked this in other places, but most of the answers I've gotten are from people not intimately familiar with how nebula works, so:

If I'm planning on doing some rendering, and using nebula for console, preamp, tube, etc. emulation PLUS reverbs PLUS compressors and so on, and the average track will pass through at least 5 instances of nebula in total:

Should I take my 44.1 session and render it at 96k first? I understand that not all nebula programs "sampled" at 96k, so maybe that matters?

If I were using programs all at 96k, then would it make sense?

Is nebula internally upsampling to 96k for those programs and then downsampling on it's output (If so, avoiding all this srv would be my purpose for converting first and running the session at 96k.)

Or is nebula sensing my native sample rate, and dumbing down it's process to work internally at 44.1?

Should I just forget all oft he above, and render via multiple passes all at 44.1?

I've got a 2008 2.8GHZ ocotomac with 8ghz ram running logic 9.1.1

I'd like to start mixing the track I'm working on later today, so I'd appreciate any guidance.

I should point out that the music will eventually be on a redbook cd master, so it will be mastered down to 16, 44.1.

apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Should I convert 44.1 session to 96 for nebula mixing?

Postby biomuse » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Do a search. This has been discussed literally to death.

Short answer: If your computer can manage it for this project, sure, why not? It can't hurt.

Less short answer: There might be a slight difference; it's not going to make or break your project one way or the other. So weigh the slight benefits against the costs in convenience and speed, if there are any.
User Level X
User Level X

Return to Working with Nebula