Login

CAT6 bandwidth limit connecting a Nebula second machine

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

CAT6 bandwidth limit connecting a Nebula second machine

Postby mitch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 am

Hi!

To gain processing power (to be able to run more Nebula plug-ins at the same time), some people do connect a second machine to the daw host through a Nebula server application.
Please note that this sever application is not intended to be used this way, so it is for now a feature restricted to the people who knows how the tcp/ip stuff is implemented, with very few technical descriptions and support.

This way of streaming audio between machines through a CAT6 has a bandwidth limitation, so I heard Giancarlo say that even more than one CAT6 cable could be used between two machines.

I'd like to know what is this CAT 6 limitations.
Some digital audio designs that will appear in the next years are able to put 64 channels of digital audio in one CAT6 cable, like madi.It is called Ravenna for those interested, and is developed by ALC networX.
What is the number of channels you experiment right now, lan guys?

If this limit is lower that, let's say 16 in/out, meaning 32 separate channels, a connection between two machines might be better achieved through 4 regular ADAT cables (but it is more expensive because it means buying ADAT hardware cards).
However it is still so much less expensive than analogue hardware :lol:

Processing power:
Obviously, besides the cabling between the Nebula calculator and the daw, there is a processing limit of the second computer who's task is to do only Nebula processing.

What would be the usual processing power of a server computer with modern i7 processor in number of Nebula plug-ins being processed reliably at the same time?

If you can post along with your answers a short explanation of your setup it would be great!

And I have to say it: Nebula sounds AMAZING!
Best regards

Mitch
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: CAT6 bandwidth limit connecting a Nebula second machine

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am

Last M7 Yamaha console can send 128 channels at 48 kHz in a single CAT5e thru Dante LAN Interface (http://www.audinate.com/index.php?optio ... cle&id=137). So with CAT6 you can use FOR SURE 64 channels at 32/96 kHz. If you server can deliver more Nebula instances you can add an extra NIC for double the bandwidth and double the amount of Nebula instances, but right now there is not NIC/Servers switch/performance balancer, should be develop.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CAT6 bandwidth limit connecting a Nebula second machine

Postby mitch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks Enrique,

Nebula is THE way,