Login

You need to provide a step by step installation guide

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: You need to provide a step by step installation guide

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:06 pm

cc808 wrote:Ive already stated my regret about bringing up the philosophical point because its lead to a lot of blusterous and unfocused talk that's amounted to very little.

Half the contributors to this small thread agree the installation could be better, i've seen several confused people elsewhere on the forum obviously spending a lot of time.

And all it would take, minimum, is an accurate html link at the end of the installation. Or, (gasp!), an already written pdf file bundled with mac installer.

I can see you're big on dropping ad hominem attacks and then editing them out.

Original final line (when I clicked on Reply):
Get some perspective.

I'll take solace in knowing that Giancarlo agrees at least to some degree with my perspective.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby cc808 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

i put that line back x
cc808
User Level I
User Level I

Postby sfunk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:59 pm

giancarlo wrote:I agree a lot with ngarjuna. When everything will be simple and straightforward, everyone will be access the same tools as you and professional music will be accomplished by everyone. So no more money there (extreme fragmentation of earns). At the moment the complexity of nebula is a value for you, because it keeps away your competitors from using it.

Read our manifest.
Randy posh said: obstacles serve a purpose, they give us a chance to show how badly we want something.

I have to agree with this. I came from a poor family but 20 years ago i worked part time jobs and saved every penny for samplers, synths, guitars, amps because i truly wanted to make music! We need some "gate keepers" to act as quality control.
sfunk

Postby cc808 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 pm

except the conclusion drawn from the Posh statement is ass backward.

The obstacle you actually face isn't simply an increasing amount of creators with access to tools, it's the rising standard of competition that results from that. Your only chance is to be better, creatively, musically than the emerging, equipped creators. That's obstacle which gives you the chance to show how badly you want & deserve something.

If your reaction that rising obstacle is to hide pdf guides & promote crap installers..... it's not going to work, and, it's sadly mean spirited.
Last edited by cc808 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cc808
User Level I
User Level I

Postby misterambient » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Well, I am on a PC and personally I like the fact that Nebula can be complicated - it's deep and constantly evolving - and you have to be willing to do some problem based learning. The sound and overall capabilities are sooooo worth it. So you have to learn how to install, use and tweak for best results in specific circumstances. I also think that is part of being a good audio engineer / producer these days. There has to be some kind of adventurous quality and perseverance present in your personality for this to work out well. But don't expect things to always be obvious and simple. Anyway if you come across something that looks like a big problem, there is always this forum to gently help you solve it and develop a deeper understanding of Nebula along the way. ;)
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby cc808 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 pm

no one's asking for the plug in to be dumbed down. No-one has explained the benefits of a badly implemented installation process, because there are none. It's bad ethics & devoid of practical worth. What has been made a bunch of unrelated points about the advantages of complex program functionality, wishing the developer success, and elite circles, none of which address a bad installation, and some of which cancel each other out.

edit - its been a long time since i was drawn into an internet debate, and i'd rather exit it. Good luck giancarlo, you have a great program.
cc808
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

cc808 wrote:except the conclusion drawn from the Posh statement is ass backward.

The obstacle you actually face isn't simply an increasing amount of creators with access to tools, it's the rising standard of competition that results from that. Your only chance is to be better, creatively, musically than the emerging, equipped creators. That's obstacle which gives you the chance to show how badly you want & deserve something.

If your that rising obstacle is to hide pdf guides & promote crap installers..... it's not going to work, and, it's sadly mean spirited.

I don't know about your spirit, but I remember when I bought my first kurzweil k2000 with all possible built in options, I spent around 7000 eur of an old currency and I have been keeping reading the user manual for months. Something overcomplicated and complex, not barely close to our actual faq and plugin gui. Which is know for being convoluted. I know that today you are used to oversimplified things: I bought a tv hdd/media player, and I was able to use it perfectly without even DOWNLOADING the user manual. Anyway I expect something more from the nebula userbase, here our manifest. We are simplifying things (believe me, we are working hard on that), but it's funny because the more we simplify, the more we work. I know that it seems a bit weird, but when everything is tuned and simple we receive more support requests because people are used to simple things and they loose themself in a cup of water. We receive far more support requests today with the new website, and things are really straightforward now. Maybe you didn't experience the old website, that one was REALLY A NIGHTMARE. And guess what?, every new day someone looses the password, can't login any more for somewhat reason, doesn't find download links and sometimes ask things which are contained in the question itself, like "I have windows 32 bits, why I can't run nebula 64 bits using my 32 bits daw". The old website was really ugly and it was a piece of the barrier, sometimes I dream to revert it back for a while. ;)
Anyway I hear your requests, I've spent several days for adding a proper mac osx installer for libraries and keys (3rd party developers will start using it soon), this is just an example. Maybe we'll add a readme.txt somewhere about the installation procedure, so people will stop reading our faq and will start sending emails about RATE CNV and other similar things. Don't be surprised, it will happen...
So we'll remove parameters and something else will happen....
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

[edit]
cc808: as user I agree with you 100%.
As developer of the product... 10% :lol:
You are not saying silly things... they are perfectly right.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby cc808 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 pm

lol. i actually remember the old website.
That's great Giancarlo, thankyou for getting back & furthermore implementing the requests. It must be a tremendous drain on your own sparse time to have to respond to so many requests for further info & help with getting started, hopefully you'll be finding yourself with a little more time to work on what's really important to you. that was really my only point to begin with. all the best.
cc808
User Level I
User Level I

Postby sneaky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Provide a link in the app that opens the product details page.
For example http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=194&id=249:upgrade-nebula3-pro-win-1-3 should include details of the upgrade. When features are disabled ie sidechaining by default & the legacystereo hack.This should be detailed in the download details page.
The details page should link to the FAQ. The faq should be updated to include a step -by-step installation and details of folder paths etc.The update most urgently needed is in respect of sidechaining where it says nebula simply doesnt. :mrgreen:
I agree, currently there is too much trawling through the forums for solutions, excellent as they are.
Giancarlo always seems ready to assist directly via email too
Steve
sneaky

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula