Login

Nebula Server Mac Osx With Logic

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Server Mac Osx With Logic

Postby biomuse » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:44 pm

sfunk wrote:Guys have any of you used the Mac Server? What was your CPU hit like? I found it to be MUCH higher than normal Neb and ran out of cpu before memory...........on a 8 core Mac Pro!

I haven't done the upgrade yet. I was curious. If it really causes a bigger CPU hit per instance, then I'll wait until that can be optimized at least a bit before upgrading.

Giancarlo, in your Virtualbox test on Mac, what did you see? Did using Virtualbox improve local server performance?
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:54 pm

no, virtualbox is slow... I don't think we'll improve performances in mac osx easily, a lot of other developements have an higher priority. If the ram usage is the bottleneck you'll be force to upgrade sooner or later, though. Using 22 megabytes for a doc fear hi shelf is something you can't miss, even if ram prices drop. On the otherside, cpu are improved quickly, around 2x each incoming year. For this reason we are solving ram usage before other things. I add: host developer now could use our library for implementing a proper console eq emulation on all channels. CPU load is low pretty good and ram usage too.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Andrums » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanx for replay.
But simple question:
Is Nebula 3 Pro local server for Mac higher CPU load
then Nebula 3 Pro for Mac?
Andrums

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:31 am

really not, but when the process can't complete before the deadline you get more cpu load. So it's more cpu intensive if you run out of "bandwidth" resources on the network side.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Andrums » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 am

Does Nebula 3 LOCALSERVER version use network side resources too?
Andrums

Postby sfunk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 am

giancarlo wrote:really not, but when the process can't complete before the deadline you get more cpu load. So it's more cpu intensive if you run out of "bandwidth" resources on the network side.

So how can it be set so we dont run out of bandwidth when using it local? IS it possible or not possible? IS this something inherent with Mac OSX? Is there a way to workaround it in programming? I think you're onto something really good here but its just not worth it running locally on a Mac if they cpu hit regardless of why maxes before ram
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm

obvioulsy. In pipes mode the bandwidth is a lot larger.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

sfunk wrote:
giancarlo wrote:really not, but when the process can't complete before the deadline you get more cpu load. So it's more cpu intensive if you run out of "bandwidth" resources on the network side.

So how can it be set so we dont run out of bandwidth when using it local? IS it possible or not possible? IS this something inherent with Mac OSX? Is there a way to workaround it in programming? I think you're onto something really good here but its just not worth it running locally on a Mac if they cpu hit regardless of why maxes before ram

no, the ram is something which give issues (for example crashes), while cpu not. Cpu could be upgraded in a faster way, there is a 2x rate. Soon ram will be a serious bottleneck, for this reason we are more interested in this aspect. On gearslutz someone is speaking about an incredible nebula setup:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... sed-3.html
now you understand why we are interested in this solution and we think this is already a good solution.

On mac osx domain sockets are slower then windows named pipes. On the paper they are the same thing, but performances are a lot worse in the first case. The same for sockets. In windows sockets are way less expensive on CPU than in mac osx. So the same implementation in mac osx is giving worse performances, but imho this is NOT a trouble. We suggest to test the free version because VERY often the memory bottleneck is a serious issue and makes the system not stable at all, while cpu is not an issue. This is true especially on windows side. And in mac osx you can add a remote server too, increasing the overall horsepower
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Andrums » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I have only one computer(Mac pro) and can not add remote server.
Is it worth to upgrate from Nebula 3 Pro to Nebula 3 LOCALSERVER version for Mac?
Andrums

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm

just test the free version... It will answer your questions...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula