Login

Nebula Server Mac Osx With Logic

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Server Mac Osx With Logic

Postby sfunk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Just wondering how its working out for fellow Logic users. I am carrying out some tests at the minute.
sfunk

Re: Nebula Server Mac Osx With Logic

Postby sfunk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 pm

my findings..........

unless i am using this wrong i am finding it useless when running it local (on the same machine.)

In Logic without server i run out of memory before CPU, with server i run out of CPU before memory......and not in a good way. I can run more instances of Nebula with out the server. IT seems to eat a lot of CPU?!

Am i missing something? :?
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm

yes unix domain sockets are slower than windows named pipes. Performances in logic are worse than in reaper. It's the same story... I prefer windows performances. Acustica recommends windows. Anyway a lot of users are using eq and in such case this version works very well. Test the free version before buying!!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 pm

giancarlo wrote:yes unix domain sockets are slower than windows named pipes. Performances in logic are worse than in reaper. It's the same story... I prefer windows performances. Acustica recommends windows. Anyway a lot of users are using eq and in such case this version works very well. Test the free version before buying!!

too late already bought it-i assumed when it was released it was working better than the free version. Damn i was looking forward to 64bit Neb using Logic. Is there no way to optimise this for us Mac users?
Is it possible to get a refund on this as its pretty pointless for me and i wont be using it? Thanks
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 pm

the executable is the same! we could try new ways, but this is a limitation of mac osx. We are improving other things, for example memory usage. Please note that you could mix localserver and server instances (not immediatly in au) so you could use it for memory-intensive applications. Increasing dspbuffer helps a bit. Using remote servers helps an other bit and so on. Again: nebula 3 free and nebula 3 pro are EXACTLY the same so test it before buying. Each system behaves in a different way and we can't promise miracles everywhere
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby biomuse » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 am

giancarlo wrote:Acustica recommends windows.

Having bought the product, I have to say I don't like the sound of that either.

I understand that you have to do things in a certain order. But, you now have a Mac user base. Most of the best pro audio software runs very well on Mac, so you can do it too. Please don't make us second-class citizens, because soon there will be a lot more of us as Nebula users... :mrgreen:
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:50 am

biomuse wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Acustica recommends windows.

Having bought the product, I have to say I don't like the sound of that either.

I understand that you have to do things in a certain order. But, you now have a Mac user base. Most of the best pro audio software runs very well on Mac, so you can do it too. Please don't make us second-class citizens, because soon there will be a lot more of us as Nebula users... :mrgreen:

things are true till you develop something which is really on the edge of resources. Most of pro audio software is "simple", and very far from this edge. The truth, on mac osx there are so many layers in order to make things easy and scalable, but all those layers are an enemy for optimizations, especially when you develop something which needs resources and is not running alone in the machine. Just to make an example, the ipp library provided by intel is SLOWER on mac osx than in windows, so our reverbs run SLOWER and take more resources. For this reason nebula is more cpu intensive there. It's funny because the remain piece of code is our one it is as much fast as the windows one. We accomplished that removing all mac osx layers, and using basic unix building blocks, instead of the standard carbon/cocoa mac osx gargage. Just to name one, pthreads instead of carbon/cocoa MP services. We used our assembler/intel code for mutexes and semaphores and so on.

Unix sockets are an other example. We can't rewrite them. They are on the paper the same thing developed by windows and which in windows is named "named pipes". But in windows there are way less layers, so they are way less cpu intensive. I think they are 12 times ligher than sockets, at the same time an unix domain socket is just few times ligher than a standard socket on mac osx. I think everything could be optimized and go as much fast as the windows one, but it requires MORE efforts and developement costs. Which in general are covered by the moore law. On mac osx this law is a bit unlucky, because hardware is delivered with a bit of delay. I bought a windows x64 i7 few months before than its availability in mac osx environment, but this is a different story.

Nebula is on the edge of performances and technology, and today this edge is still accomplished by windows. If you need a server for you mac osx, just buy a windows server. I hope things will change because the mac osx userbase is growing so more tools are developed on mac osx side and they are developed in a better way.

Things which are very close to hardware and low level drivers are already working very well, an example is cuda. Which was developed for UNIX and LINUX before than mac osx.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:04 am

thanks for the reply Giancarlo. I have tried the server more and still find it totally useless for my needs.
If i were you i'd pull this product or make the extreme CPU useage very clear to potential buyers. Thanks for offering this though. I was just under the impression that once it was up available to purchase the CPU use has been fixed.
I would much appreciate a refund on this because as you can imagine it does address the problem it sets out to fix-its not possible to access more RAM because it maxes CPU out before that!
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 am

contact me
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am

giancarlo wrote:contact me and test better products next time.

Thanks. I'll send you an email.
sfunk

Next

Return to Working with Nebula