Login

More Sample Rate Conversion

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: More Sample Rate Conversion

Postby mathias » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:04 pm

hi justin,
i have heard your examples, nice music, thanks for posting. :)

there is a slight difference between them. actually both sound good, but i would describe the 96k-mix as a little more relaxed in highs/high mids, a little more depth/openness.

I also have a couple of other plugins on the track, including a SonEQ, a Logic compressor, and a Logic Adaptive Limiter, though I don't think those are relevant for the comparison since none of them introduces any SRC.

this is relevant! especially for compressors/limiting.
there is less aliasing when used at 96 k, cause the sidechain-analyzing of the compression/limiting is more exact in the time-domain.
this can affect the sound audibly.

i would expect, that the difference i heard would become even smaller, when you exclude those effects or replace them with nebulas.

would be interesting to hear without these extra vst's.
greetings mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby justinmorell » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I didn't think about the effects of sample rate on the other plugins, but of course that makes sense! I'll redo these examples without those plugins to see what happens and re-post in a day or two.

Thanks again.

BTW, I never thought about the advantage of using 96k for sidechain analysis. Is the difference in quality of the plugins at the higher rate really substantial?
--Justin

Mac Mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X v. 10.6.4
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Running Logic Pro 9
Nebula 3 Pro
justinmorell
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 am

to my ears it makes a difference.
i did not test it with upsampling files before the mix, but i have some compressors/limiters that can oversample internally in realtime for processing (psp mastercomp, psp vintagewarmer 2, voxengo polysquasher).
i always test both options.
if it is about absolut clarity in processing (mastering for example), i often go for the oversampling.
if it is for effect/colouring, i tend to stay without, this gives a more compact sound.
these are just tendencies, i decide by ear and mix.

i don't know how big the difference is for other plugins. but there should be one, if the plugin has a good accuracy in the sidechain-detection.
as far as internal oversampling is involved, it depends on the quality of that step too. psp and voxengo have a good reputation and i think they made it as good as possible.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula