Login

Running everything in Nebula Reverb

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Running everything in Nebula Reverb

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 am

Look here-

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

for compressors i followed this , but it's hard to say if third party devolopers use this when checking the Programs and nebula for compressors may have changed since then for the better.

Moving on

I use this setup for general and compressor but sometimes not for tapes and pre's=just change the prog rate in the xml on nebula reverb.I don't add the <up> for this.Which leads me to another question.What is happening when you don't add the <up> parameter to the xml file?This sounds good for most progs to me as the dynamic behavior sounds like i'd expect the hardware to sound.The interesting thing is that the transients are captured better In my opinion, So in eq's I find i'm not pushing them so far and thts a good thing for keeping things sounding more natural.
I really notice this on saturation programs like tapebooster+ ,sounds far better to me .timing of the saturation sounds better .You wouldn't think you could hear .9ms difference when the prog rate in xml is going from 2000 to 100.

I'd stick to 100 because I have notice strange distortions on bass guitars Probably due to the low prog rate That I had set at 50.This is what has been talked about.

It's hard to know how many people have done this too?
Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 am

this is not in response to anyone specific... but my oh my there's so much confusion out there concerning nebula settings. i don't have a problem but giancarlo you should really fix the settings to default values that work with everything for everyone. it's about time!
futur2

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 am

Yeah,

Having said what i've said .I'm not sure if its correct . :lol:

But I guess If you can change things For yourself, if you think it sounds good to you can be a good thing .I just want to grasp a better understanding of the limits of nebula and build an understanding of whats going on and I don't think i'm anywhere near that!

Suggestions Would be real good .I need someone to tell if I've got thing wrong or right , along with a bit of theory.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby edbilleaud » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 pm

futur2 wrote:this is not in response to anyone specific... but my oh my there's so much confusion out there concerning nebula settings. i don't have a problem but giancarlo you should really fix the settings to default values that work with everything for everyone. it's about time!

Yes, God in heaven, I just want to be able to load an instance and use it with confidence, knowing it is working properly, and not have to worry that some arcane setting somewhere that I don't understand is not adjusted properly. Why is this such a difficult thing to do? None of the other software I use requires me to jump through these crazy hoops, it either works properly, or gives a warning when something is not set right. Every time I read posts in this Nebula forum, I come away worried that I do not have things set at their optimum. All these cryptic messages from other users and even the developer do more harm than good in that regard. Don't you understand that many Nebula users just want to be able to use the product with complete confidence that everything is working at the very best settings without having to try and adjust things that we don't know about?
I'm sure to the developer and certain power users it is very cool to be able to do all this tweaking, but others of us do not want to have to do that! No offense intended, but this mars what otherwise is a brilliant piece of software.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby giancarlo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 pm

actual parameters are a good starting point. A lot of users are using nebula in different ways, someone is interested in latency, someone in performances and someone in sound. Than there are zillions of hosts....
Actually the number of questions directed to my email address is fine. If I change just something this number increases exponentially.

The product is tweakable... and as many tweakable products you can tune many things... sometimes you improve the product in a particular direction so it satisfies your needs in a better way... than you post your achievements and a lot of questions are raised.

Feel free to experiment other settings... I'm using nebula without changing anything from default settings (apart RATE CNV and maximum length for FFT player, but I wouldn't touch them since someone is using old computers). If you think a particular combination is successfull for many users feel free to post it, we'll prepare a sort of installer for it in a different section of the website.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby edbilleaud » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you Giancarlo, a patient reply as always.
Actually, Nebula is working fine for me as far as I can tell. It just worries me to think I may not be getting optimum performance, for example on a mastering project, and that later I may discover that something could have sounded better with a setting of which I was unaware.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 pm

I agree ,Giancarlo has allways reply's in a patient manner, Which is amazing because Nebula does so many great things and in an amazing way and he has to put up with so many users damands ,I can't imagine a better customer service .

Nebula is allways improving and I guess have to learn how to use in the best possible way.It's that or we have to go and pay for thousands of pounds of hardware with noise!

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 am

edbilleaud wrote:Thank you Giancarlo, a patient reply as always.
Actually, Nebula is working fine for me as far as I can tell. It just worries me to think I may not be getting optimum performance, for example on a mastering project, and that later I may discover that something could have sounded better with a setting of which I was unaware.

Ultimately I think giancarlo saying he personally doesn't tinker with those other settings beyond their default setup says a lot about how much we should worry about those other settings in terms of use. I think they are maybe more there for developers and people willing to experiment, to find novel ways of setting things up.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby apollo soul » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:08 am

So...

Ignore what it says on the wiki about chaging parameters for comps?

I should NOT have a generic version of an eq, a generic version of a comp, and a generic version of a reverb... each with it's own settings geared toward a lean and mean version of what works best for that type?

Is there a penalty paid for running so many plugs with reverb settings when most of them are not reverbs? After all, out of 200 total intances, maybe 4 are reverbs.

Half my reverbs need enhanced settings for tail lengths.
What is the penalty paid for those enhanced settings?
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Postby himhui » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 am

I advise nebula user to test comp with regular version (128 buffersize) and reverb version (8192 buffersize), the sound is more focus to me by using regular version. I am wondering if buffersize affects the result......
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.40 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula