Login

Handy tool to batch edit Nebula and VST XML dspbuffer values

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Handy tool to batch edit Nebula and VST XML dspbuffer values

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 am

If you have a lot of Nebula instances (using different skins and program lists, created with Nebulasetups) and 3rd party Nebula VST plugins, and want to change the dspbuffer values for lower latency, it can be tedius editing every XML file. ie the R2R VST plugin, with all the different tape machines, especially if you have both 32 and 64 bit versions!

Here is a free windows tool I found that search a directory, find a string in text file and change it

download link on the left
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler

find the folder or mutliple folders (your VST folders)
put *.xml in the search filter

find <DSPBUFFER> 8192 </DSPBUFFER>
and replace with <DSPBUFFER> 128 </DSPBUFFER> or whatever value you want :)

click find to see if it picks up the files you want it to, then hit replace
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Handy tool to batch edit Nebula and VST XML dspbuffer values

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 am

good one, i'm sure that post could come in handy for some people.
another good program like this is one called 'grepwin' (easy to find with google search).
my personal favorite is from a small company called brinesoft and the program is just called 'text replacer'. that one's not free though and my trial is just about up. i'll probably buy it because i get a lot of use out of it, and it can do more than one line at a time, which i could never figure out with regex. it's not as quick to use if you're just doing one line, though.
i love these cool little utility style programs you can find to do all sorts of things...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:12 pm

You can do batch commands with TextCrawler, so edit more than one line if you wish :)
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby babiuk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Well I don´t understand really what is the use of this tool. I mean I'm so thanked for creating that but what is the benefit of using it?
Thanks in advance
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm

CoolColJ wrote:You can do batch commands with TextCrawler, so edit more than one line if you wish :)

batch commands for editing separately, two separate lines, right? but can i use it to actually find two or more lines in sequence? could i have it search for a whole paragraph and replace any occurrences of it with whatever?
if so i might have to check that out...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Look for "gawk" - probably the most powerful text/pattern replacing tool (script based)

Freeware Unix like tool, like Grep etc.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Nice people!

Useful infos.That will speed up the task for multiple Nebula .dll users.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 am

babiuk wrote:Well I don´t understand really what is the use of this tool. I mean I'm so thanked for creating that but what is the benefit of using it?
Thanks in advance

I have about 8 different Nebula .dll VST entries in my plugin folder, each with different skins and program loadouts (created with a program called NebulaSetups) - ie one for just tape programs, EQ+Filters, effects, general, VU skin etc. Just makes for better workflow.
Along with that I have the Acqua plugin versions of some of my libraries like R2R which has separate VST plugins for every tape machine, some 49 separate DLL files and their XML. Along with both 32 and 64 bit versions!
All of them have a XML file that contains a DSPBUFFER entry that controls the buffer size and thus latency.

The Acqua versions have a default latency (dspbuffer) of 8192 samples, in their XML files - pretty high - you can't edit this like you can with Nebula directly from the plugin. So you have to edit the XML files directly. Doing 100+ XML files, one at a time isn't much fun. This is where this tool comes in, to search and find these XML files, and edit that particular DSPBUFFER line and change the value to whatever I want 8-)

My computer can handle buffer values of 128-256, but 1024 for long reverbs. Still much lower than the default 8192

Cupwise wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:You can do batch commands with TextCrawler, so edit more than one line if you wish :)

batch commands for editing separately, two separate lines, right? but can i use it to actually find two or more lines in sequence? could i have it search for a whole paragraph and replace any occurrences of it with whatever?
if so i might have to check that out...

It appears that you can. There is a multi-line button function in the batch section. And you can paste whole paragraphs in the search/replace entry box
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am

cool guys (coolcolj, zabukowski), i'll have to check both of those programs out. surprised i missed them when i did what i thought was a thorough search for this kind of stuff a while back.
sorry for kind of going a little OT with the thread, anyone interested in the original post just ignore anything i've said. i need multiple line search/replace for other stuff..
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula