Login

Building a digital console.. with NEBULA

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Building a digital console.. with NEBULA

Postby jesse.nemitz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm basically building a brand new PC with the INTEL Xeon Nehalem 7560 processor. The motherboard can take up to 4 processors. With 8 cores on each processor, that would give nebula 32 cores to work with. with 48gb of ram I'm hoping to run this machine side by side with my main daw as a digital representation of an actual console.

I will preset 64 digital outs going to this nebula server's 64 digital inputs and run 64 channels in cubase.

I'll have different "console sessions" preset with each channel having a full AlexB console strip with the EQs and everything... I'll then set up all my buses and my main mix bus (and two more like the old 6048 S*L!)

My graphic designer friend is also going to design custom nebula skins for EACH nebula program instance so all the channels fit on a 1080p screen resolution when the plugins "windows" are all spread out. They will be a vertical orientation and will have visual knobs for each function.

I'll have a second monitor coming off the console which has the Cubase/ProTools DAW inserts visible for inserting other nebula instances and plugins.

So I'll use my main daw as a tape machine and sleek editor and the other machine just like a real console.

Here's another thing I want to do.. I want to mount and tilt a 52" touch screen LCD on the angle of a typical mixing desk (maybe a little more upright for visibility). I'll be able to touch and interact with the system very much like I would on a console and have all the channel strips stretched out in front of me.

Should be a fun project and be a neat custom mixing tool that not a lot of engineers get to work on here in nashville.

Anything I should be aware of when building this or has anyone tried something like this yet? The only question would be wether to build the base as a powermac OSX 12 core or the PC with the latest hardware... thoughts?
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Building a digital console.. with NEBULA

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm

contact mim from room hunters, I watched a video featuring something you could be interested into.

Contact directly me for the server version.

If you are speaking about nebula, nebula is faster on the pc side.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jelmet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 am

Great idea! Keep us posted!
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby bauman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 am

Now THAT I wanna see! :)
Cheers,
Fabio
bauman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby cfunck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 am

I would love to know if any windows version could hold up this configuration. Keep us posted 8-)
cfunck
User Level I
User Level I

Postby elam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:19 am

I had a similar configuration in mind.That's a nice idea.Just go ahead I don't give up.

I would go for PC too.Even when money isn't a problem you can upgrade,try new stuff,change your mind easily.

I wonder what kind of loading time you can expect with this type of configuration.And sh*&^t ! you will need a AC blowin' up freezing air 24/7 !

Good luck for the project.That's the future...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jesse.nemitz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 am

definitely is the future... I wonder how hard it would be to build each strip as a single plugin much like CDSoundmaster packaged up his N**e into a nice plugin.. I would, of course, make them vertical oriented and have the channel strip travel the entire length of the 1080p resolution screen.

interesting.
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby biomuse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 am

giancarlo wrote:If you are speaking about nebula, nebula is faster on the pc side.

Any chance of further optimizing for us poor Macsters?
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 am

The idea presented most definitely is interesting !

Appreciate sharing how this progresses.

One question I'm curious, would be, regarding servers.

Potentially, HOW many 'servers' can be brought online
to work the Nebula 'system'?

Also ... the 're-work' of the Nebula GUI into a vertical
format ... is this possible ??

I could see the expansion of the Acqua VST format
specializing in particular console functions as a
prime function.

Just thinking out loud ... the possibilities are intriguing :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby fonzobrown » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

Hi, two mounth ago i've done a little test with this set up: 1st pc with mac osx and protools 9 used like just a tape recorder, it sends 32 adat channel through an m-audio lightbridge; 2nd Pc with Amd 6core Windows 7 x64 used like " nebula virtual console " receive the audio signals through 2 Creamware Pulsar adat in ( 32 channel in total). On the nebula virtual console side i've used Reaper as Daw and i've created different nebula instance with few preset each that "simulate" a singol part of a console ( es. hi eq instance with just that kind of preset inside...and so on with other istance like line in...eq mid etc. etc.). Than i've used reaper's function "show in track control" to visualize, on a the virtual console, the parameter control i need ( like eq gain and freq ). So without needing to built new nebula's gui i've created in this way a virtual console channel strip with all the control on screen ( now i want to buy an acer t231h touch screen monitor to manipulate console control directly like a real console ). In this way i can take under control latency too, 'cause each strip got always the same amount of istance/latency and i can change for example an "low eq nebula istance" without afflictiong the overall value or dealing with latency compensation. If acer test will be ok this summer ( waiting for new sandy bridge 2011 socket 8 core )i'll buy an 46'' elotouch monitor too and i'll beguin the party.

Hoping this help

Ciao

Roberto
fonzobrown
User Level 0
User Level 0

Next

Return to Working with Nebula