Login

Precice Gain Staging Needed

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Precice Gain Staging Needed

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:04 am

Renan L.B wrote:Also, is there any setting that can be modified in Nebula to make the Input/Output go higher than +6.0206dB ?

Good idea. If we had a way to modify in/out parameters via xml to give them the same range we could 'link' them in REAPER and everything would work fine :)

But... this is not a solution for the rest, I know.

We just basically need a 'link' feature both in/out parameters. This should be implemented in Nebula itself and not per templates BUT I understand Giancarlo's too busy for this.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby rhythminmind » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 am

Renan L.B wrote:Also, is there any setting that can be modified in Nebula to make the Input/Output go higher than +6.0206dB ?

Every program has
Pad In/Out +/- 40db of gain.

Unless i'm missing something the overall need seems irrelevant. I can't think of a modern DAW without prefader or region trim capability.
With all the major 3rd party programs i've used/created the internal gain staging should already be properly set. If you can't get enough level from the current in/out + the DAW fader something would be seriously wrong with the source audio.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am

rhythminmind wrote:Unless i'm missing something the overall need seems irrelevant. I can't think of a modern DAW without prefader or region trim capability.
With all the major 3rd party programs i've used/created the internal gain staging should already be properly set. If you can't get enough level from the current in/out + the DAW fader something would be seriously wrong with the source audio.

I think we don't want more or less input/output. The main idea here is driving programs but keeping, at some degree, the same level, hence the 'link' idea for both parameters. Driving programs is fun but it'd be much funnier if we could just hear 'the hit' :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby elam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Good to see that topic back again.
Here too :
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

And a month "after" is not so bad...

Giancarlo, I'm confuse, is it totally impossible or hard and doable if developers help you on this ?

It feels good to have an answer.

So last dumb question.Which developers do we have to contact ? Skin or Preset developers ?
Thanks
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sfunk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
rhythminmind wrote:Unless i'm missing something the overall need seems irrelevant. I can't think of a modern DAW without prefader or region trim capability.

I think we don't want more or less input/output. The main idea here is driving programs but keeping, at some degree, the same level, hence the 'link' idea for both parameters. Driving programs is fun but it'd be much funnier if we could just hear 'the hit' :)

Exactly and i also find it confusing trying to figure out if the clip led is red because of the input or the output-with this function it would be clear it was always the input being overloaded.
sfunk

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm

rhythminmind wrote:

Every program has
Pad In/Out +/- 40db of gain.

Unless i'm missing something the overall need seems irrelevant. I can't think of a modern DAW without prefader or region trim capability.

I'm with you, I don't understand the request. And I use a host which basically doesn't have a prefader (it does have graphic track trimming readily available) so...yeah, I don't get it. Unless I'm also misunderstanding...people want gain staging to be more automated? The thing of it is: can't do it. Because it isn't a rule-based decision making process it's a creative decision making process.

I think I must be misunderstanding the request, though.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

A "sweet spot finder" a "sweetspoter" if you prefer.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 am

ngarjuna wrote:I'm with you, I don't understand the request. And I use a host which basically doesn't have a prefader (it does have graphic track trimming readily available) so...yeah, I don't get it. Unless I'm also misunderstanding...people want gain staging to be more automated? The thing of it is: can't do it. Because it isn't a rule-based decision making process it's a creative decision making process.

I think I must be misunderstanding the request, though.

I think this request doesn't have anything to do with gain staging, actually. In my workflow gain staging comes first, it's just balancing stuff here and there to start with good levels, etc. After some hours, when all my mix is 70% there, I'd like to hit Nebula instances harder (or softer) just for fun, just to hear how it sounds. A way to link both parameters would give us that: 'keep levels while I'm driving you harder... and just show me how much you can take, baby... no loudness involed' :)
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:things and stuff...

I think this request doesn't have anything to do with gain staging, actually. In my workflow gain staging comes first, it's just balancing stuff here and there to start with good levels, etc. After some hours, when all my mix is 70% there, I'd like to hit Nebula instances harder (or softer) just for fun, just to hear how it sounds. A way to link both parameters would give us that: 'keep levels while I'm driving you harder... and just show me how much you can take, baby... no loudness involed' :)

That makes more sense, thanks M_N.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Mercado Negro wrote:keep levels while I'm driving you harder... and just show me how much you can take, baby... no loudness involed' :)

Can't say it better.Everything's clear now ?

I still don't get if we have to contact the skin dev. or the program one to ask for that "template".
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula