Login

Hardware preamps and console libraries

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Hardware preamps and console libraries

Postby woeischris » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 am

In the pursuit of a sound that is as close to the original board as possible, wouldn't it make sense to use mostly clean, uncolored preamps to let the library do its job? Something like a F*******e ISA. My thought is that the more colored a pre, the more that S*L line input is going to have to fight against it, the less of the S*L sound you're going to get.

Does this make sense at all? Has anyone thought about this? Has anyone put it into action?
woeischris

Re: Hardware preamps and console libraries

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:39 pm

If your goal is get as close to the hardware as possible, then it would make much more sense for the console's preamp to be the closer choice versus a potentially "cleaner" one. The minute details you get from those console preamp programs are the identical details that were sampled from the console in question.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:26 am

heh, yeah, i thought that in a console program, that the console's own preamp would constitute a lot of the final console program's sound. i would think that the console preamp and the amplifier going out of the console would be the bulk of the circuitry that the signal goes through...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby burnsound » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 am

I think that maybe the original poster is trying to ask what sort of preamp he should use when he is recording- i.e. what REAL preamp will sound best when tracking so that it can be used with Nebula processing.
Maybe the OP can clarify?
burnsound
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby woeischris » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Yeah, lemme try to clarify.

If I use Alex's CLC, I want a sound that is as close as possible to that S*L 4000. The CLC IM1 will not make something captured by a Presonus FP10 sound like an S*L. It will not un-Presonus the signal. Right? (I don't use an FP10. Just saying.) It also means that some preamps will sound better with some consoles than others and this should be taken into consideration. I've never seen it mentioned here before. Maybe it's obvious?

So finally, my statement was that in the interest of getting as close to the sampled sound as possible, I'm thinking I should invest in some vanilla preamps like F*******e ISAs for use with Nebula console inputs. I was wondering if anyone thought about this and whether anyone had put it into action.
woeischris

Postby mathias » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 pm

so you are looking for a "real" transparent preamp, to get the most out of nebulas colouring?
i would say, that every preamp has its own colour, some more obvious, some not so.
there are some designs, that claim to be as transparent as you can get (earthworks, grace design, schoeps, and others), but they will still give different "sound".
i think F*******e isa has more of sound of its own, then some others.
in the end you have to try yourself, if the combination of a certain preamp fits with your desired nebula-programs. if you want real ssl-sound, then buy ssl-preamps.

i would look for a good balance in quality/transparency between your preamps and ad-converters (depends on how much money you have to spend), and not so much worry about perfect neutral sound of your preamps.
in combination with nebula, i think they won't "fight" each other, they just blend their sounds.

my 2 cents :) ,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 am

I'm not looking for preamp advice, I was curious about whether anyone else had thought about this and how, if at all, it affected their hardware purchases.
woeischris

Postby faun2500 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Just want to say that I completly understand what you are saying. :lol:

If you think about it, when a mix is done on a big S*L console its quite likely that there were all different preamps and tubes and eqs/comps used while recording so its not any different is it.
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby tlindaas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:44 pm

I guess if you want to replicate the sound of something plugged directly into the S*L a clean, real preamp plus a Nebula S*L line/mic input is the way to go. But of course you can use colored real preamps as well, this will just replicate going through that preamp into the real S*L board.
tlindaas
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Ramana » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 am

A lot of large studios use outboard pres with S*L desks.
Ramana
User Level II
User Level II

Next

Return to Working with Nebula